Piazza Ranieri 5, Orvieto, Umbria, Italy
Sue’s quilts are inspired by many life experiences drawn from the countries in which she has lived or been privileged to visit. Having traveled through Africa, England, the United States, Italy, Vietnam and Australia Sue’s imagery of flora, fauna and cultures of those places has influenced her quilts. Orvieto will serve as your inspiration as you explore folk design using hand-dyed wool and textural fabric.
You will start with a pieced background using a combination of fabrics and then an appliqué which will be filled with your own visual journey, inspired by Orvieto. You will design and create an original. For your design you will use journaling including simple drawings from the streets of Orvieto.
The use of imagery using wool, taffeta silk, silk velvet and cotton appliqué as well as dimension using stacking of fabric, couching, embroidery stitches, beads and words will be explored. A study of the creative use of leaves and berries will be challenged using many different fabrics and embellishments. You will finish by designing an outer border that will enhance the faric for the sides of your bag. We will then work with an Italian shoe maker to make the bottom and handles for your bag.
- Enjoy tasting Orvieto’s wines and olive oils, paired with local foods and under the guidance of a trainer of sommeliers
- Learn to cook Italian food with a James Beard chef then enjoying the exquisite meal you have prepared
- Tour Italy’s most impressive Gothic cathedral
- Travel to a vineyard for a personalized wine tasting
- Shop at the weekly market – an institution in Italian towns
- Explore the Etruscan culture from 800 B.C.
Share this page via: