Piazza Ranieri 5, Orvieto, Umbria, Italy
Spend a week with international award winning teacher and author Lisa Walton exploring the textures, colors and details of beautiful Orvieto.
Gather inspiration from the textures of stones, designs from intricate mosaics, delicately crafted lace, local ceramics and wrought iron. Combine these with the glorious colors of the Italian countryside to create art pieces in fabric and paper you will treasure. Influenced by the beauty of Orvieto, you can either return home with a stash of Italian inspired fabrics or create a collage work of art using your original fabrics and papers.
Students will experiment with the following design techniques:
- Obtain rubbings from an ancient mosaic or other architectural detail.
- Create your own stamps of sculptural decorations to add detail to any surface design.
- Paint fabric using a wide variety of Lisa’s innovative techniques and luscious paint supplies .
- Create sun prints using plant material collected from Orvieto.
- Explore a full range of surface design techniques on paper and fabric.
- Discover tips for collage, effectively combining textures and color.
Lisa will gently guide you through these techniques, resulting in stunning textile creations from your own hand. Play, experiment, mix and match techniques as you build a collection of fabrics and papers, reflecting your magical week in Orvieto.
This course is suitable for all levels including beginners.
Outside of the classroom you will:
- Enjoy tasting Orvieto’s wines and olive oils, paired with local foods and under the guidance of a trainer of sommeliers
- Learn to cook Italian food with a James Beard chef then enjoying the exquisite meal you have prepared
- Tour Italy’s most impressive Gothic cathedral
- Travel to a vineyard for a personalized wine tasting
- Shop at the weekly market – an institution in Italian towns
- Explore the Etruscan culture from 800 B.C.
Share this page via: